ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Jspc and timestamp
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:54:21 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "ROSSEL Olivier" <olivier.rossel@airbus.com>
To: <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 03:57
Subject: Jspc and timestamp

> Hi everybody.
> I began Ant just two hours ago (with the bible of Mr Hatcher and
Loughran).

> Well, it is very nice :-)
>
> My first FAQ on this list is the following:
> JspC is the task to compile JSPs.
> Well, it works a bit like javac except that it does not check for
> timestamps.
> So a JspC task always recompiles all the pages.
>
> Is it a feature? Well, on my computer it takes ages.
> So being able to  check the timestamp for each page would be a great
> benefit.
> It seems that using <uptodate> can help.
>
> If I understand correctly, <uptodate> can tell me :
> "No JSP has changed" or "At least one JSP has changed."
> So you can trigger JspC only when one or more JSPs changed.
> Am I right?
>
> There is no system to have JspC to behave like javac?
> And check for the each timestamp separately?

JspC is currently very broken on Ant1.5.1, somewhat fixed in CVS; we may
pull those fixes into Ant1.5.2

JspC does check for timestamps, buts its rules on how *.jsp mapped to *.java
were only applicable in Tomcat 4.0.x; somebody changed the rules again for
tomcat4.1.x. In CVS we have added a new 'compiler' for Tomcat4.1 that knows
the new rules.

Even so there is still another outstanding defect, that is the directory
structures arent handled properly -though they are if you use the webapp
option (which only works properly in CVS, again)

FYI, what I do nowadays is deploy then run httpunit over the target pages;
this integrates jsp compilation with testing, and so addresses two problems
simulatenously.