ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Missing & misleading documentation, help needed on advanced Jar functionality
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:48:49 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "webhiker" <webhiker@tiscali.fr>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 02:30
Subject: Re: Missing & misleading documentation, help needed on advanced Jar
functionality

> I'm aware of the licensing implications of packaging 3rd party jars
> together, but it's the only solution I have until someone finds an
> easier way to solve these kinds of dependencies.
> It's not feasible to have to make a user run a Java application from the
> commandline, at least not in the year 2003.

webstart is the solution, I believe.

> Creating and maintaining 4 billion startup scripts is not an option
either.

> When o when will we see some support from Sun for nested jar files.......?

about the same time CLASSPATH gets ignored, one expects.

Java1.5 will probably have to include mail and activation, because they are
needed for attachment support with the JAX-RPC web services stuff. So your
compound jar is going to be a support problem if/when the next java version
comes out.