ant-user mailing list archives

From "Yaron Ruckenstein" <yaron.ruckenst...@mobilitec.com>
Subject Running processes with Ant
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:53:06 GMT
Hi,

My company's product is made out of several processes
such as Apache, Tomcat, Java, and more 3rd party tools.

Currently I use .sh and .bat scripts to run the processes
on different platforms.

It is very tempting to replace all these scripts with an ant script,
and solve issues like running on different platforms and building the
classpath.

However I'm worried that using Ant is much more expensive.
If I do not use Ant, then I execute a shell that brings up a JVM,
load my process classes, and other libraries, and execute them.
If I use Ant, I add to this loading the ant.jar, and the build.xml,
and this consumes memory and CPU resources.

Also, if I use the fork option of the Java task, then I get an extra JVM
for each process. If I do not, then I have a JVM that loads more classes,
and consumes more resources.

I will very happy to hear you comments.

Thanks,

Yaron Ruckenstein