ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: ant as a workflow engine
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:26:29 GMT
Have you looked into Jelly? You may find that it suits your needs better in
some ways. Ant was design as a build tool and thus its keepers resist
scripting capabilities that you might need. Ant is more mature, but Jelly is
already used by a few projects, notably Maven (which incidentally used to be
built on Ant, and is now built on Jelly...). Hope that helps, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Walters [mailto:scott@integra-online.com]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 12:45 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: ant as a workflow engine

I'm in the process of architecting a rewrite of our external system
interface modules.  In general, these modules extract specific data from
our database, send it somewhere, poll for a response and then import the
response back into the database.  They do this with several vendors,
each with their own data requirments and transport mechanisms.

There's a lot of code reuse possibilities since many of the vendors use
very similar data formats and HTTP POST transport mechanisms.

Given this, I'm seriously considering implementing the individual pieces
of this project as ant tasks and processing each request by
programatically invoking a build script that controls the execution of
these tasks.  Requests would come into a servlet, which would invoke the
ant script in a new thread, specifying the ant target that implements
the particular interface requested.

I'm certainly no ant expert, however.  All I've done is create some
fairly simple scripts to build and jar java code.  My specific questions
are...

1)  Can I pipe the xml output of one task into the next task without
using a file?

2)  Do tasks within a target always run in the order they're specified
in the build script?

Any other advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Scott