ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <>
Subject RE: pulling .jars from a path?
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:37:16 GMT
But be warned it will be horribly slow, since will scan all files on all
file-systems mounted on /... <fileset> alway scans everything, even if all
its includes do no contain any regex, which IMHO is a deficiency (i.e. an
missing optimization).

I can see two optimizations fileset *should* have:

1) <fileset dir="somedir" includes="somesubdir/**" />

   Do not start scanning all files at somedir, but somedir/somesubdir.

2) <fileset dir="somedir" includes="somesubdir1/A, somesubdir2/B" />

   Do not start scanning all files at somedir, and do not scan at all
   for that matter, but look over all those 'fully defined' (i.e. no regex)
   included files, and add to the fileset the ones that exists.

These two optimizations would significantly speed up tasks using these kind
of fileset definitions. If I had to pick between the two, I guess (2) is the
most common case. --DD

PS: Note also that a recent but report on Javadoc in Ant being significantly
slower than javadoc command line when specifying explicitly the classes to
operate on would be taken care of often by (1) and (2).