ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Ant Core Task Quick Reference
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:52:14 GMT

On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 12:55  PM, Kenneth Lee wrote:
> Thank you. I was once thinking about doing something similar.
> But then I realize that keeping another set of documentation is likely
> to have it not-synced with the rapidly changing core manual.

> So I propose that the core documentation to be rebuilt from scratch,
> probably in XML, so that different views of the manual (normal view
> as well as quickref and index) could be generated in a unified manner
> (thru XSLT and CSS.)

Its in progress.  In fact, the past several days I've been refactoring
the proposal/xdocs stuff and I'm going to make it part of the XDoclet
project as a special set of Ant-specific subtasks to process Ant tasks
and datatypes and extract the useful info and XML-ify it.  Its already
been done, and the results can be seen here:

As Steve has already mentioned, there is still a way to go with making
documentation as rich as the current HTML docs, but that can be handled
with some merge points in XDoclet to pull in some extra files per task
to include examples or more.

Its always been my goal to generate a quick reference of Ant
tasks/datatypes, and we achieved this goal mostly already and its
dead-on 100% accurate with how Ant works, rather than the current HTML
documentation which may (or may not) have holes in which
attributes/elements are shown.  Generating from XDoclet will ensure
accuracy and allow attribute/element descriptions to be where they are
defined rather than separately maintained.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message