ant-user mailing list archives

From Mike Castle <dalg...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: detecting build failures with OUT exiting
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:13:33 GMT
On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:19:06PM -0800, Steve Loughran wrote:
> From: "Mike Castle" <dalgoda@ix.netcom.com>

> > I'm knew to ANT and still in the process of trying to get up to speed on
> > everything, including still reading through _Java Development With Ant_.
>
> but of course :)

I was wondering which one of you two would respond first.  :->

> > Now, the problem with <antfile/>, at least as far as I have been able to
> > read in the docs and ant-user archives, is that there is no
> > failonerror="no" equivalent.  Nor do I see a general way to catch
> failures.
>

> There are <try> and <catch> tasks in ant-contrib.sf.net; these let you wrap
> the <ant> calls. Covered on p256 of the book, btw.

Ack!  Information overload.  And on such a memorable page number too!

But this definitely looks like what I was looking for.  Thanks!

I take it that this is a different implementation of the same idea posted
by Dale Anson elsewhere in this thread?

> > So, if a file fails to compile, the automated build exits, and I can't
> send
> > off an email from inside ant to the appropriate individuals telling them
> > they need to buy the next round.
>
> MailLogger is the way to do this. I like your 'your broke the build'
> punishment policy.

The current script uses the XmlLogger and saves that off.  If there is
an error it sends an email saying "go here."  I'll probably keep that
method and use the <mail> task.  They get annoyed if I even hint at
changing stuff to drastically, so I don't want to change what they receive.

Considering the number of emails we've sent out today, someone may have to
just bring in a pony keg later this week....

Cheers,
mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/