ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Reference to the Current Project
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:10:19 GMT
On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 09:42  AM, SimonRichardson2@hbosts.com
wrote:
>> I'm trying to emulate the behaviour of anthill (certain anthill/PVCS
>> limitations have forced this on us) which maintains a version file.
>> The <script> merely opens a file and creates properties for an
>> oldVersion and newVersion.  The script is generic and is called via.
>> "anttask" by several build files.
>
> It works something like this ..
> 1) the versioned file is checked out with the rest of the source.
> 2) the version number is read (using <script> and newVersion assigned)

And the file is updated here, I'm assuming.  Why do you need <script>
to read a property file?  I guess to increment it.  How about using
<propertyfile> to do this instead?

Since you already have a properties file where this information is
being stored then you now already have a mechanism to "pass" the
information back to the calling build file.  Right?

A couple of Ant features that might come in handy are the <buildnumber>
task and the 'prefix' attribute of <property file="..."/> which can
help keep properties segregated into "namespaces".

	Erik