ant-user mailing list archives

From Phillip Lord <p.l...@russet.org.uk>
Subject tracing source code in generated build.xml
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:16:10 GMT

I have a quick question.

I'm in the middle of developing a small tool that generates out ant
project files. (If you are interested its at
http://www.russet.org.uk/download/java/antmerge/). One of the problems
with this approach is that the error tracing that I get relates to the
build.xml file, rather than the source file that this is actually
generated from.

I was wondering, is there any way to embed source file information
into an ant build.xml, so that this gets reported instead?

If not, I can think of some ways that this could be added:- essentially
you want to tag something like <source file="in.xml" line="44"/> that
can be placed legally in as many different places as possible. Then
the code which generates the build.xml could sprinkle these liberally
through the generated build.xml. And then ant would need to be fiddled
with, to get the correct error reporting (based on the last source tag
that it had read).

Does this sound feasible? Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to
how hard it would be.

Cheers

Phil