ant-user mailing list archives

From Phillip Lord <p.l...@russet.org.uk>
Subject Re: Generic template for software build plan
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:41:07 GMT

  Nicola> Phillip Lord wrote:
  >> "Nicola" == Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> writes:
  Nicola> The embed proposal, that is in Ant CVS since some time now

  Nicola> well.  What is the difference with AntMerge? They seem
  >> very Nicola> similar.  No idea. Despite looking for quite a

  >> The "embed proposal" is something I've not heard off. I managed

  >> find the source, from poking around in the ant CVS. Is there any
  >> documentation anywhere? If someone else is working on something
  >> similar, I would be happy. I'm only writing tools for operating
  >> over build files out of necessity.

  Nicola> Look at Centipede. http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/

  Nicola> We use the embed proposal in our enhanced Ant distro. There
  Nicola> is not much documentation of the embed proposal yet, but
  Nicola> you'll find something in the Centipede wiki.

I'm still not sure. Centipede looks nice, and might do some of what I
want, but its looks a lot more complex. I had a look through the wiki,
but I couldn't find anything concrete describing what "the embed
proposal" that you refer to, actually does.

With my system, you just take the defined build file, and just
override the bits you don't like. All the rest comes for free. I can
still use my XML aware editor to do correct tag placement, as the
individual project build files are just ant files, and most, although
not all of the code duplication between projects that I have had in
the past with ant disappears. And it works with any build file,
including third party ones over which I have no control, which is
useful for me.

I'm not trying to convince you here. I wrote antmerge, because I
needed something like it. My solution is cheap and cheerful. The code
base is fairly small. And it mostly works. If people want to use it
they are welcome to it, and if they don't, then this is fine also. If
there is alternative which is better, then I'd like to know, because
if I can spend less time doing my build, and more time developing the
"end product", well thats good for me.

Cheers

Phil