ant-user mailing list archives

From Joey Gibson <j...@joeygibson.com>
Subject Re: Application CLOSE after running org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main()
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:12:30 GMT
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:38:45 -0500, Erik Hatcher
<jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

||| Ant's Main.main calls System.exit, that is why.

I got bitten by a System.exit() call a while back (not Ant's main, but
another). I was wrapping a local utility in an Ant task and while the task
ran and the tool did its job, Ant would just abort with no errors, no
messages, nothing. After a little fiddling I discovered it was a call to
exit(). Is the reason for Ant's main calling System.exit() simply to return
an exit code to the OS? That's what it looks like. A cursory glance at
Ant's Main.start() method looks like one could use the
additionalUserProperties element to pass a property like "exit=true" or
something like that and then Ant could check that before calling
System.exit().

Joey