ant-user mailing list archives

From David McTavish <dmctav...@SANDVINE.com>
Subject RE: ant for dummies question
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:09:50 GMT

One of the benefits of setting src.dir as a property is that you could call
your compile script from an external script and override the value. This is
generally useful if you are provide professional services (ie:
UI/HTML/customization for your end-customer).

We have a root development folder that contains the core implementation with
a peer folder containing any work that may be different.

ie:

sw

 +-- root project
 |   |
 |   +-- src

 +-- customer

     +- src

All of the build logic is contained within the root project's build script,
but we make calls from the customer build script to compile the code, BUT
override the src.dir property to be "../customer/src". This way, we don't
have to duplicate the build logic across every customer that we wish to
support.

customer/build.xml
<target name="build">
    <ant dir="../root" target="compile"/>
    <ant dir="../root" target="compile">
        <param name="src.dir" value="../customer1/src"/>
    </ant>
    <ant dir="../root" target="build"/>
</target>

This means we don't have to duplicate the complicated intricacies of the
build and compile targets (building wars, pre-compiling jsp's, etc) and can
piggy-back on an existing framework. This has also GREATLY increased our
team's flexibility in being able to produce customized applications.

d.