ant-user mailing list archives

From David McTavish <>
Subject RE: ant for dummies question
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:16:04 GMT
we use "src" here, and every other place I've worked. One note, that we do
manage multiple languages as well, and we differentiate between those under
our "src" tree.

 +-- src
     +-- c
     +-- com
     |   |
     +   +-- sandvine
     +-- <other language here>

we use the "com" to differentiate between java and other languages we write
in, and this also allows us to store all of our source code under one tree.

* I've also abstracted this into a property ${src.dir} and store it in my file in the event that we ever want to make a global
change, but we're so far into development now that that'd never happen. As
far as properties are concerned, I'd recommend abstracting EVERYTHING that
is configurable into a property. You'd never believe the amount of stress it
relieves from being able to make a change in a single file and allow it to
propogate to all build scripts.

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hardy []
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 10:07 AM
Subject: ant for dummies question

I've been using ant for a while with struts and tomcat. Now I'm starting
an EJB project and am learning more about ant so I can use it here too.

I'm used to having my java classes in the "src" subdirectory. Yet I was
reading an old post "J2EE config/build best practices" from Drew Davison
recommending calling the source code dir "java" - which is more common?

Also the struts-originated build.xmls hard-coded the directory name in,
but wouldn't it be better to have it in the

Instead of

<javac srcdir="src"
   <classpath refid="compile.classpath"/>

have this: