ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Understanding directory-based tasks referred to by ID
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 19:59:06 GMT

On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 11:58  AM, Chris Brown wrote:

>>> 3./ If any of the fileset's attributes are based on expanded
>>> properties,
>>> such as dir="${build}/lib/*.jar", when is this expansion performed?
>>> For
>>> example, what happens if the fileset elements are defined outwith any
>>> task
>>> or target, containing an expandable property, only defined in the
>>> "init"
>>> target, where the fileset is referred to by a later "compile" target
>>> that
>>> depends on "init"...?
>>
>> This is an easy one.... properties are expanded as soon as the fileset
>> is constructed, so the properties must be set before the fileset
>> definition occurs during the build process.
>
> By "constructed", do you mean at the time the build script is
> "parsed", or
> do you mean when some underlying objects (or whatever) are constructed
> the
> first time it's referenced ?

When the build script is run, is what I mean here.  When that line is
encountered during execution, properties are expanded and handed to the
datatype.  The fileset datatype has no knowledge that properties are
being used, its just receiving a String (or perhaps another datatype
that can be constructed from a string representation).

	Erik