ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: ant and netbeans
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:58:40 GMT
The directory structure in that chapter is pretty basic (src/<package
structure>, test/<package structure) and pretty typical, and last time
I used NetBeans it was easily able to adapt to different structures by
mounting the source roots appropriately.  I think Eclipse has a tougher
time adapting to different directory structures.  My philosophy is that
an IDE must adapt to _my_ way of doing things rather than me having to
make things tougher on myself to accommodate a tool.  My builds run in
a variety of environments (Anthill, CruiseControl, IDEA, command-line,
etc) so tools need to be flexible enough to handle my structure, or I
don't use them :)

How are you finding that directory structure incompatible?

As for the ".." issues you mentioned, at the very least you shouldn't
have a LOT of them in your build file.  Make a property at the top:

	<property name="root.dir" location="../../../../../../.."/>

And use the root.dir property wherever needed - or adjust the basedir
on the <project>, and use relative paths from there and Ant will
happily adjust for you.  Your placement of the build file is pretty
atypical though, and I question why you want to do it that way.