ant-user mailing list archives

From Ray Tayek <rta...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: ant and netbeans
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:20:33 GMT
At 06:58 AM 12/27/02 -0500, you wrote:
>The directory structure in that chapter is pretty basic (src/<package
>structure>, test/<package structure) and pretty typical, and last time I
>used NetBeans it was easily able to adapt to different structures by
>mounting the source roots appropriately.

yes, my problem is exacerbated by the fact that i am keeping the build file
in the source tree.

>   I think Eclipse has a tougher time adapting to different directory
> structures.  My philosophy is that an IDE must adapt to _my_ way of doing
> things rather than me having to make things tougher on myself to
> accommodate a tool.  My builds run in a variety of environments (Anthill,
> CruiseControl, IDEA, command-line, etc) so tools need to be flexible
> enough to handle my structure, or I don't use them :)

i agree!

>How are you finding that directory structure incompatible?

if i was using cvs, it would be no problem as i would check out the source
and put it in source (more on this later)

>As for the ".." issues you mentioned, at the very least you shouldn't have
>a LOT of them in your build file.

yes, there are only two.

>Make a property at the top:
>
>         <property name="root.dir" location="../../../../../../.."/>

good idea, i will do that.

>And use the root.dir property wherever needed - or adjust the basedir on
>the <project>, and use relative paths from there and Ant will happily
>adjust for you.  Your placement of the build file is pretty atypical
>though, and I question why you want to do it that way.
>
>         Erik

yes, i have noticed that my placement is atypical. but where else would you
really want most of the build files? even if i was using cvs i would want
it to be there and then it would be in down the src tree somewhere. so now
i have to copy it to the "project" directory - not only do i have an extra
directory, but i now have two copies of build.xml (yuck!).

obviously a build file for some massive project could/wants to hang out
somewhere else, but most of my build files seem to be small guys that just
make a jar or run a few tests. one would think that the logical place for
*most* build files would be in the *package that it built*.

the only alternatives seems to be to create a tree parallel to
com/tayek/.... and put build files in it or randomly place the somewhere?
and this requires another directory for everything that gets built.

perhaps i am missing some real basic idea here?

thanks