ant-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generic template for software build plan
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:04:15 GMT

Phillip Lord wrote:
[...]

> I'm still not sure. Centipede looks nice, and might do some of what I
> want, but its looks a lot more complex. I had a look through the wiki,
> but I couldn't find anything concrete describing what "the embed
> proposal" that you refer to, actually does. 
> 
> With my system, you just take the defined build file, and just
> override the bits you don't like. All the rest comes for free. I can
> still use my XML aware editor to do correct tag placement, as the
> individual project build files are just ant files, and most, although
> not all of the code duplication between projects that I have had in
> the past with ant disappears. And it works with any build file,
> including third party ones over which I have no control, which is
> useful for me. 
> 
> I'm not trying to convince you here. I wrote antmerge, because I
> needed something like it. My solution is cheap and cheerful. The code
> base is fairly small. And it mostly works. If people want to use it
> they are welcome to it, and if they don't, then this is fine also. If
> there is alternative which is better, then I'd like to know, because
> if I can spend less time doing my build, and more time developing the
> "end product", well thats good for me. 

:-)

I'm trying to "sell" you the embed proposal because there is a >0 
possibility that it will go in the Ant codebase. Part of it is being 
moved-intergrated in these days.

I'm just trying to understand id AntMerge does something new I might be 
interested in for Centipede, and possibly work together.

Here is how you can simply "override" as you say using the embed 
proposal or Centipede:

you make a file called mybuild.xml and you can override it in build.xml:

<project name="mainbuild" default="all" basedir=".">

    <import file="mybuild.xml"/>

    <!-- all targets define here override the ones
         in mybuild.xml -->

    <!-- The ones not overridden are available -->

    <!-- You can all the parent target with
         parentbuildname.target (IIRC) -->

</project>

Is this what AntMerge does?
You can also import more than one file too.

Centipede goes further and adds an <importcent> task that can 
automatically download the buildfile to use with all its resources and 
install it locally in the cent plugin repository.
But this is an extra feature that you peobably don't need ATM, the embed 
proposal will suffice. I showed you centipede because it's a prepackaged 
version of Ant with the embed proposal and extra targets. If you install 
it you can run both Ant buildfiles via embed or centipede ones, which 
simply have a different default name to prevent clashes in case other 
users don't have Centipede.

-- 
Nicola Ken Barozzi                   nicolaken@apache.org
             - verba volant, scripta manent -
    (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)
---------------------------------------------------------------------


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:ant-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:ant-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message