ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: tracing source code in generated build.xml
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:14:58 GMT
Phillip Lord wrote:

> I was wondering, is there any way to embed source file information
> into an ant build.xml, so that this gets reported instead?

No, there is no way to do this that I know of.

> If not, I can think of some ways that this could be added:- essentially
> you want to tag something like <source file="in.xml" line="44"/> that
> can be placed legally in as many different places as possible. Then
> the code which generates the build.xml could sprinkle these liberally
> through the generated build.xml. And then ant would need to be fiddled
> with, to get the correct error reporting (based on the last source tag
> that it had read).

What you could try would be to develop your custom <source> task to spit out
the information to the log and then combine this with a custom build
listener to fiddle with error messages as they come out.

> Does this sound feasible? Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to
> how hard it would be.

Could be hard enough but you'll learn heaps :-)

Conor