ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: ant for dummies question
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:31:14 GMT
Adam Hardy wrote:
> I'm used to having my java classes in the "src" subdirectory. Yet I was
> reading an old post "J2EE config/build best practices" from Drew Davison
> recommending calling the source code dir "java" - which is more common?

Drew... one of my major mentors in the Java world!

As for naming conventions, its pretty arbitrary, but I see src most often.

> Also the struts-originated build.xmls hard-coded the directory name in,
> but wouldn't it be better to have it in the build.properties?
>
> Instead of
>
> <javac srcdir="src"
>        destdir="${build.home}/classes"
>          debug="${compile.debug}"
>    deprecation="${compile.deprecation}"
>       optimize="${compile.optimize}">
>   <classpath refid="compile.classpath"/>
> </javac>
>
> have this:
>
> <javac srcdir="${src}" ....

I disagree with making a property for everything - it just makes things
too confusing and too indirected unnecessarily.  I hardcode in relative
paths to my fixed directory structure pieces.  src never moves (relative
to the project base directory, that is) so its perfectly reasonble to
hard-code its relative path.

Don't get caught up in the "everything must be a property" mindset -
only make properties for things that need to be flexible where they are
written to or read from.

	Erik