ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Java Development with Ant examples
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 04:13:18 GMT
Hesitantly (because I'm afraid of the support issues I'm about to field
:)....

This is a trimmed down version of the application Steve and I developed
for our Java Development with Ant book.

Of not to Ant folks:

  - Property handling, including how I deal with library dependency
issues (see lib/lib.properties)

  - Use of <antcall> for compilation of "modules".

  - Custom Ant IndexTask, demonstrating how to develop relatively
sophisticated Ant tasks easily.

  - XDoclet, XDoclet, and XDoclet :))

For XDoclet folks, these are of interest:

  - The strutsgen subproject uses custom templates and a custom tag
handler demonstrating some powerful features of XDoclet.

  - Use of Ant property substitution in XDoclet tags.

  - Use of XDoclet template tags in merge points, showing how to do some
conditional things out-of-the-box with XDoclet (turning Cactus servlet
on and off, in this example).

The application itself is a document search engine, based on Lucene, and
should run out of the box in Tomcat or JBoss.  It even has the ability
to (at build time) toggle between whether to use a session bean or not
(functionality is the same either way).  By default, you can simply
deploy the WAR that you've built and it will work without EJB, but if
you are interested in exploring the session bean piece it can be turned on.

I am in the process of creating much more detailed documentation, but I
wanted to get this out sooner rather than later.  If you find any
problems or have any questions, please do not hesitate to let me know so
I can refine it and post updates.

The one documentation I need to provide now is to note that you'll need
j2ee.jar to build.  I include all other API's.  To build, unzip the file
(link below) and it will expand into JavaDevWithAnt directory.  In that
directory, run Ant.  If you have J2EE_HOME set you shouldn't need to do
anything... just "ant".  You'll also need to build a site index, so run
"ant build-site-index".  This is intentionally two separate steps.  If
you don't have J2EE_HOME set, then you need to provide j2ee.jar to the
build.  Do it this way:

     ant -Dj2ee.jar=/path/to/my/j2ee.jar

Where "/path/to/my/j2ee.jar" is the actual path to your j2ee.jar

Post any questions/problems to me directly.  E-mail me at
JavaDevWithAnt@ehatchersolutions.com.

Download:
http://www.ehatchersolutions.com/downloads/JavaDevWithAnt-0.1.zip

There will be updates in the next week or so as I polish the
documentation and address any issues that turn up.

     Erik