ant-user mailing list archives

From "Pellier, Marc" <Marc.Pell...@atosorigin.com>
Subject RE: Ant-Editor Integration
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:48:22 GMT
You can execute Ant targets from NetBeans
	only with Ant 1.4

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Slatcher [mailto:steve_slatcher@scientia.com]
Sent: mercredi 18 d├ęcembre 2002 15:32
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Ant-Editor Integration

You can execute Ant targets from NetBeans.  NetBeans is however
particulalry annoying in that the editor marks as errors attempts to use
classes that it does not know about, i.e. classes not "on its classpath",
or "mounted" to use NetBean-speak.

Even as I write this, I am evaluating JEdit..  Whilst it is not as annoying
as NetBeans, in so far as it does not nag it it cannot find a class, it
obviously cannot help with code completion on methods it knows nothing
about.  I was unaware of AntFarm - I'll take a look, thanks.

Maybe I am being too fussy, but it would be really nice to get code
completion, and to be warned about classes not on the path when they are
missing from a specified javac command, and not to be warned if they are
not missing.  That is what I was expecting from Ant-integration.
Presumably editors/IDEs also need to know this class information if they
are to run programs in a debugger.

Matt Moran wrote:
> I use jEdit (www.jedit.org) with the "AntFarm" plugin.  When I want to
> compile, I don't even bother with the "Compile Current Buffer"
> command, because that would require me to set up my classpath within
> the editor, etc. Instead, I just invoke the "AntFarm->Run current
> target" command, which does the compile.  That way javac is only ever
> invoked from within ant, and I always know exactly what classpath it
> is using.
>
> I used to use JDEE, and you can do pretty much the same thing in that
> environment.  In my opinion, setting up the buffer compile features
> in JDEE is a waste of time.  Just set it up to use Ant, and do all of
> your compilation that way.
>
> I've never used NetBeans, but I bet you can do the same thing.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -Matt Moran

Disclaimer:
This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly
confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not
the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any
action in reliance of this transmission. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by return and delete
the transmission.  Although the sender endeavors to maintain a
computer virus free network, the sender does not warrant that this
transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages
resulting from any virus transmitted.
Thank You.