ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apply/Exec
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 14:44:25 GMT
On Fri, 08 Nov 2002, Anakreon Mejdi <amejdi@ertonline.gr> wrote:

> I think it could handle it.  apply knows in which OS is running and
> from a configuration (stored in ant.jar) could know how many
> parameters the OS can receive.

Not really.  It is the total lenght, not the number of arguments that
is often the limit.

> For example lets say that an OS can take 10 params and 3 are passed
> as <arg> from the apply taks.  So we have 7 params which can use.
> From the fileset we have 100 files.  What apply could do is to split
> the 100 files into portions of 7 and for each 7 params execute the
> process.

But this doesn't work for all cases.  Sometimes parallel="true" cannot
be split into sevaral invocations without causing problems.

Take tar as executable.  "tar cf archive.tar file1 .... fileN" creates
archive.tar from the files.  I can not simply split this into several
commands as I'd have to use "tar rf archive.tar ...." in the second
and subsequent calls to append instead of overwrite the existing
archive.

This is why I said it was not possible to do it automatically and
correctly at the same time.

Stefan