ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rick Hightower" <r...@eblox.com>
Subject RE: "Elements of Ant Style": ant files separation
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 02:22:21 GMT
By
"-use XML includes to pull in common declarations across all build files."

do you mean using an external entity?

<!DOCTYPE myproject [
	<!ENTITY importedAntFile SYSTEM '../../common/build.xml>
]>

<project ...>
	&importedAntFile; <!-- imported elements imported here -->
	<target ...>
	</target>
</project>

If so... that is so cool. The first time I saw this was with the Sun Web
Services SDK.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 6:40 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: "Elements of Ant Style": ant files separation

My recommendation is

-break your project into sub projects at sensible places, each with their
own deliverable (jar, ear, docs) that can be tested

-have a build file for each sub project
-have a master build file for the whole thing, using <ant> to call down
-use XML includes to pull in common declarations across all build files.
-have helper build files for common tasks, these files are like subroutines
that take parameters as properties and do things for the big files. e.g.
javadoc, jmxdoclet,
-use junit report to build a big fancy report of the entire test run. people
love that.