ant-user mailing list archives

From "Martin" <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Ant Perversions [was RE: Properties are causing problem in 1.5]
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 23:29:19 GMT
Scott:
I think you are forgetting why developers choose Ant consistently for their
build environments...
1)it is truly portable..I can plunk my build.xml into a different
development environment with no ill effect ..can you say the same for ANY of
your platform specific tools..Can they read and adjust their environment
completely based on
a few property files and environment variables?
2)It is free..This makes ant available for all to use..Some IDE's have hiked
their price
from anywhere between 500-1000$ Why because they are incorporating free
tools that you and I have used for free for years..Ants use of the
exec/apply and java commands can call or execute the majority of these free
tools without incurring the weight and slow speed of an IDE
3)It is lightweight..simply because a developer has the ability respecify
Java_home and thus javac and java tools..How many tools have the ability to
dynamically reconfigure itself to changing environment..Most tools I have
seen are static in nature.
4)We have real techs working on Ant who use the product they are
developing..this frees us developers from talking to annoying salespeople
pushing IDEs that re slow and resource/memory hogs.
I have just given you 4 good reasons for using Ant..
Can any of the tools you have mentioned claim to have ALL 4 of the
aforementioned benefits..I know that make cant send mail, cant create
javadoc and cannot create testcases and run them so the answer to the
question is
I doubt it..
-Martin