ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Stirling" <scottstirl...@rcn.com>
Subject RE: Ant Perversions [was RE: Properties are causing problem in 1.5]
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 02:49:06 GMT
Hi,

I've been using Ant for a few years for all the reasons you listed below.
My question isn't "why use Ant?" -- but more like "at what point should one
admit Ant's limitations and augment it?"

Cygwin is free and kinda lightweight; UNIX is everywhere.  That's why I
usually wrap a lot of heavy-duty build stuff in shell scripts where Ant is a
large, but not the only, part of the picture.  I'm talking about major
infrastructure work.  This doesn't mean that for your desktop, dinky build
stuff like compile/jar/junit/report/deploy I don't use or recommend pure
Ant.  I do, totally.  It's when you're setting up the product's fully
automated cross-platform build/test/report/install, etc. cycle that
post-processes external tools' output, generates better email reports than
Ant's mail logger, configures and runs some MS tool, needs to be scheduled,
or set-up quickly and easily on multiple (UNIX and Windows) machines that I
start reaching for other tools in the bag.

The scheduling limitation is kind of a big one.  There are Java scheduling
tools out there like Flux.  Would that appropriate for scheduling builds
either from Ant or around Ant?  How do others automate Ant builds in
cross-platform environments?  Cron on UNIX/AT on WIndows?

Scott Stirling