ant-user mailing list archives

From David McTavish <dmctav...@SANDVINE.com>
Subject RE: Can properties be returned to a calling ant script?
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:59:04 GMT
your properties file should always be accessible using relative paths from
your build script.
<property file="../../default.properties"/>

d.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Rathnow [mailto:dave.rathnow@wrx-ca.com]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 10:55 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Can properties be returned to a calling ant script?

The property file approach seems to be the most common.

However, I don't see how this will solve the problem
of location independence.  I need some way of finding the root of our
development tree.  If I use a property file, that means I have to hard code
the root location in a property, which does not allow me to use both Unix
and Windowz paths, nor does it allow me to move the project around easily.

On unix the root could be /usr/local/DEV" while on Windowz
the root could be "E:/Dev".  It gets more complicated if I
have to checkout a code branch from CVS and put it under
"/usr/local/V3_5/DEV" and have all my projects build correctly.

My thought was to have a single build script that new it's location in the
hiearchy and could find the root of the develpment tree and define a
property for all the other
scripts to use. The property file will work for this.  Now
all I have to do is find out what task or combination of
tasks will give me root from the "common" build script.

Thanks
Dave.