ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Naming build files
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:57:11 GMT
Indeed, so are the two build scripts I work on most usually. But then if you
use entity includes in your XML (see the FAQ), you expose yourself to bugs
in some tasks that do not resolve entity the same way as Ant (AntDoc is one
example, but there are others), which when cannot find the entities and thus
fail. I now always put my Ant build script at the top-level, which is also
the Best Practice in my opinion.

So Stefan is right of course, but I do still recommend a top-level build.xml

If you decide otherwise, don't complain to me later is something's not
working ;-) Cheers, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 10:48 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Naming build files

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> Putting the Ant build script at the top level is important, as
> everything can then easily be defined relatively from this point
> (see the location attribute of <property>).

Actually it will be relative to the basedir attribute of your project
element.

"For historic reasons" the build.xml of the biggest CVS module in the
company I work for is not at the top level but one level into the
source tree - it has basedir=".." and so it is the same as if it was
at the top level.

Stefan