ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Can properties be returned to a calling ant script?
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:00:04 GMT
../../.. gives you location independence. If all your projects are part of
the same CVS sandbox, then you know exactly the relative path to the
properties file, so no sweat!!!

Otherwise, you could define a single environment variable for the root, and
refer to it instead of hard-coding paths. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Rathnow [mailto:dave.rathnow@wrx-ca.com]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:55 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Can properties be returned to a calling ant script?

The property file approach seems to be the most common.

However, I don't see how this will solve the problem
of location independence.  I need some way of finding the root
of our development tree.  If I use a property file, that means
I have to hard code the root location in a property, which
does not allow me to use both Unix and Windowz paths, nor
does it allow me to move the project around easily.

On unix the root could be /usr/local/DEV" while on Windowz
the root could be "E:/Dev".  It gets more complicated if I
have to checkout a code branch from CVS and put it under
"/usr/local/V3_5/DEV" and have all my projects build
correctly.

My thought was to have a single build script that new it's
location in the hiearchy and could find the root of
the develpment tree and define a property for all the other
scripts to use. The property file will work for this.  Now
all I have to do is find out what task or combination of
tasks will give me root from the "common" build script.

Thanks
Dave.