ant-user mailing list archives

From "Murray, Mike B." <...@ptc.com>
Subject RE: Design Pattern in Ant - Template Method
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:08:34 GMT
You have to make use of property values to direct an abstract target to an implementation of
it.  You cannot use the properties to create dynamic depends though.  You need to make use
of antcall, which has its drawbacks (creates new project instance, memory overhead), or use
a lighter version of it that is available with JBoss Build Magic (http://jboss.sourceforge.net/snapshots/).
 That is how I created the calltarget task, used below.

Abstract Level:
  <property name="pkg_rt"        value="common.pkg_rt"/>

  <target name="pkg_rt"          description="Create the runtime archive."
                                 depends="init,rt">
    <calltarget target="${pkg_rt}"/>
  </target>

  <target name="common.pkg_rt">
    no-op, or default implementation...
  </target>

Concrete Level:
  <property name="pkg_rt"        value="my.pkg_rt"/>

  &common;

  <target name="my.pkg_rt">
    concrete implementation...
  </target>

You just need to manage the order of property value definitions, since a property will only
be assigned a value one time.  This is done by using entity includes at the proper time (http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/faq.html#xml-entity-include).

CallTarget is a fairly stand-alone task, so it should be easy to modify the code and make
it your own, if you prefer.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jboss/buildmagic/tasks/src/main/org/jboss/tools/buildmagic/task/CallTarget.java