ant-user mailing list archives

From "Alexei Betin" <ABe...@futuretrade.com>
Subject RE: How to break up file-build.xml and execute them together as optional
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:25:08 GMT
see comments:

Apparently %1 %2 %3 %4 are whatever arguments you specify
on command line to invoke the above script,
up to 4 of them will be passed on to Ant's main() methods.

So you got some custom script to invoke Ant,
I suggest you use the one comes with Ant distribution
(ant.bat or ant.sh depending on your platform) instead
of the one above.

> Qtn2.
> How do we invoke targets if the build.xml has more
> than one Target with default as "core"? for example
> <target name="core" depends="compile_util_classes,
> compile_classes, customerejbjar" />
> <target name="all" depends="compile_util_classes,
> compile_classes, customerejbjar, javadocs" />
> <target name="clientjar" dpends= "compile,
> compile_classes"/>

read about Running Ant in Ant documentation here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/index.html

> Qtn3. if we make ant call, does it expand the
> build.xml file with including other files or does it
> execute each ant file for each ant file? for example
> <target name="core" depends="init">
> <ant antfile="${tracer.home}/src/build.xml"
> dir="${tracer.home}/src" target="core" />
> <ant antfile="${customer.home}/src/build.xml"
> dir="${customer.home}/src" target="core" />
> <ant antfile="${personalization.home}/src/build.xml"
> dir="${personalization.home}/src" target="core" />
>     <ant antfile="${inventory.home}/src/build.xml"
> dir="${inventory.home}/src" target="core" />
>     <ant antfile="${signon.home}/src/build.xml"
> dir="${signon.home}/src" target="core"/>
>     <ant antfile="${shoppingcart.home}/src/build.xml"
> dir="${shoppingcart.home}/src" target="core" />
>     <ant antfile="${mail.home}/src/build.xml"
> dir="${mail.home}/src" target="core" />
>   </target>

Not sure I understand the question completely, but I guess
the latter is true, basically it's a new Ant invocation
each time, as if you manually went to each {xxx.home}
directory and ran Ant there, the only difference is
that all properties of the "global" build.xml by default
are inherited (become visible) in each individual build.xml

> Qtn4. How to enable the properties using ant in your
> solution

not sure what you mean by "enable", to set a property
use <property> task, to set a property based on some
condition look at <condition> & <available> tasks

normally you do something like:

<target name="dowork" depends="check-conditions,dowork-internal" />

<target name="check-conditions" >
	<!-- here you set (or not) dowork.enabled property
	     based on whatever conditions you want,
	     you may use <condition>, <available>,
	     and <uptodate> tasks -->
</target>

<target name="dowork-internal" if="dowork.enabled" >
	<!-- this is only executed if dowork.enabled was set -->
</target>