ant-user mailing list archives

From Ken Gentle <j.kenneth.gen...@acm.org>
Subject Re: "Elements of Ant Style": the ./lib directory
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 18:58:07 GMT
Wow, Erik, now that's service!

At 01:25 PM 11/2/2002, you wrote:
>Ken Gentle wrote:
>
>>locally.  It also seems to encourage deploying and distributing these
>>dependent libs, giving us yet another flavor of "DLL Hell".
>
>Agreed, to some extent.  But have a look at Chapter 8 in our book to see
>how I organize library directories such that I don't simply have an
>unstructuring dumping ground called "lib".  Its an organized tree of 3rd
>party libraries allowing me to easily switch between library versions by
>simply saying -Dstruts.version=1.1b2 for example.

While I haven't (yet) gone to the level of defining a version property,
this is what is spec'ed in the properties file - one or more "jars",
including version information in the path (usually).

>>libs.   I know that I'm tired of having yet another copy of
>>jaxp/xalan/xerces downloaded with every new open source project I'd like
>>to use.
>
>Have a look at Maven.  It maintains a 'lib.repo' directory and
>automatically pulls down dependent libraries if you don't have them.

I'd already pulled CruiseControl (and gotten it into the environment) to
use as a CI engine, when I revisited Maven (prompted by a Javaworld
article, maybe?)  Maven looks really nice -- maybe it'll be worth the
effort to switch over...

>>P.P.S: Seems to be rearing its head again in the J2EE space (include all
>>the dependencies in the war/ear jar).
>
>Yes, I have issues with the WAR/EAR thing too - I've not had success
>deploying some dependencies in one place in an EAR and it seems some are
>needed in both the EAR and sub-WAR's too.
>
>I think J2EE suffers more from DD-hell... deployment descriptors, that is. :)

No argument there -- but since we're all going to be generating them with
XDoclet (Ch. 14!) now, there will be a lot less pain! (My compatriot is
pushing this one - I've never used it, but is has to be better than
maintaining all those descriptors by hand!)