ant-user mailing list archives

From Gordon Tyler <gordon.ty...@sitraka.com>
Subject Re: JUnitReport - more info to display?
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:20:35 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On the other hand, I've also heard tools in the JProbe family, although very
> good, can be quite expensive... If indeed there's a substantial price
> difference between Clover and JProbe Coverage, it then all depends on the
> price one puts on dynamic runtime instrumentation...
>
> So does anyone know the full price for a single license of each of these
> tools?

JProbe pricing from http://www.sitraka.com/software/jprobe/pricing.html:

JProbe Coverage(Windows only): US$649, GSS Purchase US$200, GSS Renewal
US$200 (GSS=Gold Subscription with Support).

And you can also get the whole JProbe Suite (Profiler, Memory Debugger,
Coverage, Threadalyzer) for US$1999 which includes GSS.

You can get an evaluation version of the whole JProbe suite at:

http://www.sitraka.com/try/

Clover Pricing from http://www.thecortex.net/clover/purchase.html:

Single Developer License: US$125
Continuous Integration License: US$1125

The page says "Introductory Price" which suggests that the prices may
increase in the future.

Another advantage of JProbe over Clover is that JProbe has been around
for a lot longer and is more mature product. Clover, on the other hand,
seems to have only come into existence in May.

> And personally, I'd like to know *how* JProbe Coverage does runtime
> instrumentation... I can see only two ways to do it, with are thru either a
> custom classloader, and that requires an app that does not break when run
> under such a custom classloader (!), or thru a custom JVM, which I would be
> very wary off.

JProbe uses JVMPI, the JVM Profiling Interface.

> Or is there a third way I didn't envision, or is it simply magic???

It's all in the elbow.

While I'm about it, I might as well plug PerformaSure which is another
Sitraka product for measuring the performance of J2EE systems at runtime
across multi-tier systems. It's the product that I work on at Sitraka,
and personally, I think it's very cool. Check it out:
http://www.sitraka.com/software/performasure/

Who? Me? Biased? Nah...

Ciao,
Gordon