ant-user mailing list archives

From Frank Carver <fr...@efsol.com>
Subject Re: "Elements of Ant Style": ant files separation
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:43:26 GMT

Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> said:
> > do you mean using an external entity?
> >
> > If so... that is so cool. The first time I saw this was with the Sun Web
> > Services SDK.
> >

> Its about as cool as #include when you think about it -works for a while but
> has its intrinsic limitations.

One additional way to use this technique is to initially construct an ant build
file for a new project by "including" from a pool of standard fragments.  Then,
as part of delivering a source release, run the build file through an
XML-load/XML-store process which expands all these "includes" into a single file
with no dependencies.

That way you get reuse and (relative) ease of construction, as well as being
able a ship a minimal yet complete build file with your software.

--
Frank Carver   frank@efsol.com   http://www.efsol.com/