ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: Ant for non-java apps
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:47:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Faiz Kazi" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 02:04
Subject: Ant for non-java apps

> Hi,
> What is the general view about using Ant as a build system for
> non-java applications?
> Is there anyone who has come across/used Ant for large projects
> where the programming language is not Java? Say C/C++, etc?
> And where traditionally Make is used?

If you look at you can find the <cc> tasdk suit that can
built C++. I've delegated to visual studio in the past, as part of a big
project, but now that <cc> exists, I'd use that in the same situation next

> By large project, I mean something like a mini distribution of Linux.
> I'm exploring options of alternate build systems for something as
> dependency-ridden as this.
> Ant was recommended to me for its XML build system and
> good dependancy resolving ability, but having taken a look at it,
> I have apprehensions of using it for a non-java based project.

gnu make is still pretty slick; I'd be very impressed if you did a linux
distro with ant - I think we'd all be.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message