ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Stirling" <scottstirl...@rcn.com>
Subject RE: starteam problems.
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 06:30:01 GMT
Hi,

This turns out to be an interesting problem.  I cc'ed the authors of
these tasks, which incidentally were just improved with some other
really cool new features this week (see the latest WHATSNEW in the
source dist or CVS).  Try the suggested work-around below (configuring
the default encryption setting on the server connection via the StarTeam
GUI), but I think the longer term and better "solution" and
(orthogonally) *enhancement* would be to enhance all the Ant StarTeam
tasks so that they take attributes for an encryption setting on the
server connection.  Ditto for compression and protocol settings, but
this is besides the point.

What follows is couched in terms of the StarTeam Java SDK:
- The way the StarTeam tasks connect to StarTeam is by getting an SDK
View object using a static method of the SDK utility class
StarTeamFinder to lookup the View based on a starteam:// URL created
from the attribute values you set in, e.g., your <stcheckout> target.
The Server object, which is a wrapper for the connection to StarTeam
server's database, is retrieved from the View that was looked up.

- So, what's wrong with that?  The problem is that the only way the SDK
API allows you to specify the encryption algorithm (and compression
level and protocol) to use when creating a Server object is if you use
one of two Server() constructors and explicitly pass
EncryptionAlgorithm.NULL in the constructor.  This information cannot be
passed in a StarTeam URL.

- Therefore, the StarTeam tasks could allow users more of the
flexibility that the command line and GUI clients allow.  So, the new
way to do this in the tasks themselves would be to create the Server
object based on all the user-defined attributes in the task (defaults
should allow users to not have to specify encryption, protocol or
compression if they don't care) and *then* open the Project and then the
View.

Anyway, the error below is saying that there's a bug in a native
encryption library called by StarTeam's (not Ant's) Java code:

[snip]
> An unexpected exception has been detected in native code
> outside the VM. Unexpected Signal :
[snip]
> Current Java thread:
>         at
> com.starbase.starteam.vts.comm.CAPIEncryptContext.nativeGetBlockLengt
> h(Native Method)
>         at
> com.starbase.starteam.vts.comm.CAPIEncryptContext.getBlockLength(CAPI
> EncryptContext.java:68)

I've never seen this happen with StarTeam myself (which we use at work),
but it's probably because I have encryption off by default on my
StarTeam client.  Try selecting "No encryption" on your GUI client's
"Server Properties" for the StarTeam server you connect to for this
project.  Hopefully this might affect the default encryption level that
the Java SDK uses and hopefully your company's server allows you to
connect with no encryption.  But, there's also a great possibility (for
all I can tell) that the SDK pays no attention to any setting made
through the GUI client.  In which case my other suggestion is to make
sure you upgrade your StarTeam client and your copy of the SDK libraries
to the latest versions to see if the problem with the native encryption
code has been fixed.

Best,
Scott Stirling

 cache\w eather.dep2 [stcheckout] Checking Out:
> C:\dir1\dir2\weather\weather\Current
> WeatherBean.class
[snip]