ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: create cab in linux; patch request
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 06:55:01 GMT
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, <newsham@hotu.com> wrote:

> This is reasonable and I'm happy to discuss this with whoever may be
> interested.

Thanks.

> The modified behavior:
>
> 1)  main thread spawns two threads to read stdout, stderr (async)
> 2)  main thread writes entire input into process's stdin
> 3)  main thread waits for process to complete
>
> Since we have three threads servicing the process' three streams
> simultaneously, we shouldn't have the potential problem described in
> the javadoc.

Maybe we need to spawn yet another thread to pump in the input, but
I'm not sure.

Anyway, I asked Ilya Kriveshko (who has been responsible for the
latest Linux related patches to <cab>) to try your patch and see
whether it worked for him, the most important excerpts from his
answer:

>> I tried the patch on Linux RH7 and it appears to function correctly
>> in our build system.
>>
>> it appears to be a correct fix for the problem.
>>
>> Thanks to Jim Newsham for catching this.

8-)

I'm going to commit your patch to CVS HEAD today and ask all <cab>
users to give one of the next Ant nightlies (starting with 2002-10-19)
a try.

Stefan