ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shackelford, John-Mason" <>
Subject RE: Looking for a Build Philosophy
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:34:03 GMT
You might consider using Cruise Control to automate builds. You can set
Cruise Control to build after any check-in occurs and a specified idle time
on the source control has elapsed. It automatically sends emails to the
build manager and offending developer whenever the build is broken. A
servlet also gives a history of builds and check-ins. I found that this tool
radically altered the way developers in my group worked. Since everything we
did had such an obvious public impact right away (we built after any
check-in and 15 minute idle) everyone was very alert to quality. When one of
us broke something it became a game to get the fix in before the next build.
I think CC is especially helpful on large teams (one project we used CC for
had 200 developers) as it makes everyone feel that their work is a vital
part of the overall success of the project and that can only have a positive

+1 for continuous integration

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
NCS Pearson - Measurement Services