ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shackelford, John-Mason" <>
Subject RE: IDE
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:52:22 GMT

Intellij IDEA is a popular Java IDE with good Ant support--perhaps the best
Ant support of any IDE.

I actually use Eclipse for Java development. Its support for Ant is, IMHO,
clumsy and I don't use it; however, the Ant plug-in is currently being
rewritten and will probably appear in a milestone build some time in
November. I've not used it much, but there is also an open source plug-in
for Eclipse called AntView that provides more Ant features and a UI that
resembles the one in Intellij IDEA.

For actually writing Ant build files I use XML Spy. IMHO XML Spy still lacks
valuable editing features, but it's the best XML editor I know of and it's
getting better. When I want to do something I can't do with XML Spy, I use
UltraEdit which, IMHO, is one of the best text editors ever to grace a
windows desktop.

I believe the market is wide open for a good Ant development tool. A number
of open source projects are running to provide this, but none of them are
mature yet.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
NCS Pearson - Measurement Services