ant-user mailing list archives

From "Wu, Sherry" <Sherry...@commerceone.com>
Subject RE: custom ant logger
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:38:18 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 4:10 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: custom ant logger

Wu, Sherry wrote:
> 1. ant logger buffers the logs in memory and flush out to a log file when
> build is finished. The system runs out of memory since our build is huge
and
> it calls many sub ant files.

This seems easily solvable by flushing to a log file as it goes without
buffering.  Have you tried this?  And?

I tried to modify XmlLogger.java. Instead of flushing the log in
buildFinished(),
I did it in taskFinished(). This solved the our of memory problem. But some
of
the tags (e.g. build, build time, target ...) are lost in the output
log.xml.

> 2. the default logger does not report errors in a standard way. The error
> messages from ANT logger are different for certain tasks (e.g. copy, zip
> etc). This causes problem for our build script to capture all the build
> errors.

I'm not following what you mean.  Could you provide an example of how
some tasks are reported differently than others?

e.g.
unzip error, ANT gives a message like this "-------:163:Errror while
expanding-----"
copy error, ANT gives a message like this  "------ Warning: Could not find
file----"
file not exist ANT gives a message like this "------ does not exist"
We had to look for these exact words in our script to capture these errors.
The script does
not capture the error if the error message is new.

> 3. the xml log file that generated from XmlLogger does not have tags for
sub
> ant file. It's very difficult to parse the xml file and get the summary.

Yes, there have been known issues with this type of thing, but I'm
unsure of exactly where it stands now.  Its non-trivial to solve I
believe, but it seems that pushing in another level when you get a new
project started (or the <ant> task is encountered) could potentially
solve this?

Yes, I agree. Need to try it out.
Thank you!

	Erik