ant-user mailing list archives

From "Unchis, Debra" <DUnc...@coral-energy.com>
Subject Looking for a Build Philosophy
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:55:03 GMT
Here's a change of pace question for the group...

I am the Build Manager for my group.  By "Build Manager" I mean I wrote the
build.xml for our code, I don't have a full fledged background in what I'm
calling "build philosophy".

So I'm no expert here, I'm just trying to get an idea on how other
organizations do it. Not the technical on internal aspects of the build (not
the targets and tasks) but the PROCESS, the philosophy behind a build. I
know there is no right or wrong, but I don't have any examples to follow so
that's what I'm looking to this large pool of fellow builders for:

What I'd like to know is how often does your organization build?
What events lead up to your builds?
How involved are the individual developers?
How do you progress from a unit test build to a system test build?

I mean I'm sure this can be simplified to build when it's necessary or when
changes are made, but I find on my project that we are building every night
and I'm finding that I spend half of my day tracking down errors and
rebuilding. I kind of think that's a waste, but I don't have any facts or
examples to back me up. Management says "build", so I build, but there has
to be a better SYSTEM out there. Can you all help me out with some real life
experiences and advice?

Thanks so much.
Debbie