ant-user mailing list archives

From Robert Priest <Robert.Pri...@bentley.com>
Subject Generic Ant Project (GAP)
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 15:17:41 GMT
To the author of the GAP project,

I have been trying to send you the feedback you have been asking for :)

But your email address wire@theswingset.net keeps returning my emails.
In general, I think the GAP project was a good idea.

But I do have a few comments/issues. I have fixed these in my copy of GAP, I
could send you my updated build.xml file if you want.

Here are my comments:

----

Using:  ant 1.5

I like the gap project. I think the generic tool is very useful.

I have a few issues though. Let me know what you think. I could fix them
myself, but I would think that you would want to include these fixes
in the GAP project.

Issues:

Property files that should be picked up by the classpath:

If I want to add log4j logging to my project, I put log4j-1.2.3.jar in the
lib\ext dir. But where do you suggest I put the
log4j.properties file. I would think that it would go into the etc dir. But
that dir is not included in the classpath, so that
log4j will pick it up. The logging will not work.

In order to get it to work, I have to put it in the src/ dir (At the src
root=src/).

Also javadoc:

When I do an "ant javadoc" on my project. I have to manually create the
"docs\apidocs" dir. If it is not there, the build will fail.

"ant clean" does not remove the dist directory. The build dir is removed,
but not the dist.
>> you web page says:
Clean - Removes the directories containing transitory files, specifically
dist. Can be used to save space or to guarantee that all your class files
have been regenerated.

But that is not happening.

Also the javadoc dir (apidocs) is not being removed. I think it is because
of:
    <delete dir="{$docs_dir}/${javadoc_dir}" quiet="true"/>

your $ for docs_dir is in the wrong place.