ant-user mailing list archives

From Simon Baker <simon.ba...@clearmoney.com>
Subject xmlproperty - clarification please
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:32:34 GMT

I am playing around with using an xml file to load properties into my build
file. The xml properties are as follows ....

<environments>

	<env name="u03">
		<server.app.hostname>caix01</server.app.hostname>
		<server.app.username>root</server.app.username>
		<server.app.password>root</server.app.password>
		<server.app.rootdir>/clearstage/env/u03</server.app.rootdir>

<billers>amexc,barcc,brgas,brtel,gfish,mbnac,mnsfs,morst,jlpac,onetl,orang,t
elew,tmobl,virgc,virge,vodaf</billers>
		<debug>on</debug>
	</env>

	<env name="u02">
		<server.app.hostname>caix01</server.app.hostname>
		<server.app.username>root</server.app.username>
		<server.app.password>root</server.app.password>
		<server.app.rootdir>/clearstage/env/u02</server.app.rootdir>

<billers>amexc,barcc,brgas,brtel,gfish,mbnac,mnsfs,morst,jlpac,onetl,orang,t
elew,tmobl,virgc,virge,vodaf</billers>
		<debug>on</debug>
	</env>

</environments>

My ant code looks like:

<project name="play" default="init" basedir=".">

    <target name="init">

		<property name="env" value="u02"/>

		<xmlproperty file="${basedir}/env.xml"
					 keeproot="false"/>

        <echo>server.app.hostname=${env.server.app.hostname}</echo>
        <echo>server.app.username=${env.server.app.username}</echo>
        <echo>server.app.password=${env.server.app.password}</echo>
        <echo>server.app.rootdir=${env.server.app.rootdir}</echo>
        <echo>billers=${env.billers}</echo>
        <echo>debug=${env.debug}</echo>

    </target>

</project>

In a similar example in the book by Steve Loughran/Erik Hatcher, on page 76
it says that a customer property (aka my env property) can  be overridden at
the command line like: ant -Dcustomer=joes_garage. However, further in the
text it describes a limitation of xmproperty - it handles only the first of
duplicate elements.

So does this mean that my example cannot successfully load the correct
properties based upon the command line, eg. ant -Denv=u02 or ant -Denv=u03?

Certainly i only get the first sibling element, ie. u03 nomatter what i
specify the env property to be ....

Simon Baker
Clear Money Ltd.
84-86 Regent Street
London
W1B 5RR
t: +44 (0)20 7025 6605
f: +44 (0)20 7025 6501
e: simon.baker@clearmoney.com

Visit our web site at: <http://www.clear.co.uk>

Confidentiality: this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient you should not read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use the information
in this e-mail and any attachments. Please reply to this e-mail highlighting the error and
delete the e-mail and any attachments from your system.

Security Warning: please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet
e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We suggest that you consider this when
e-mailing us.

Viruses: although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free
from any virus we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipients should
ensure that they are actually virus free.

Clear, Clear Money and the Clear logo are trade marks of Clear Money Limited and they should
not be used, nor should any part of the material in this e-mail be copied, without our prior
written permission. Clear Money Limited is a limited liability company incorporated in the
UK. Registered Office: 84-86 Regent Street, London. W1B 5RR. Telephone: 020 7025 6500. Fax:
020 7025 6501. Corporation No: 03873527. VAT No: 751 8550 22.