ant-user mailing list archives

From "Mohamed, Haneef" <Haneef_Moha...@G1.com>
Subject RE: Looking for a Build Philosophy
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:39:18 GMT
I had a couple of thoughts on this:
[Background: I am the build, test, test-tools developer for our project]

1. Having worked somea as a developer has saved me a lot of work when the
build breaks. Then I can submit targeted bugs like: two diferrent versions
of log4j.jar are being used, circular dependency, etc.

2. I only rebuild my jars (and do an autocheckout/autocheckin) if the source
code has changed using the uptodate tag [what a life saver!]

3. Each project can be built at its level as well as the root level. For
build purposes I used the master build file which calls the subordinate
projects' build files [inheritall="false" --- another beautiful util]. The
developers use the appropriate build.xml files, and the requisite
build.properties files to build their individual projects.

Haneef Mohamed
Group1 Software - Hotdata Austin Group

[Acknowledgements: Joe Magdaleno, Ed French]

-----Original Message-----
From: Malik, Yousuff
To: 'Ant Users List'
Sent: 10/17/02 2:18 PM
Subject: RE: Looking for a Build Philosophy

Here are some of the best practices that I have found works

1)Nightly development and integration builds
2)You need to have different dev, int and QA branches. Clearcase is
highy
recommended.
3)Schedule the nightly builds on a cron job and if a compilation error
occurs send out an email to the developers
4)Create a junit repeort and mail it to the developers
4)No compilation errors should occur in integration builds
5)The build master should "NEVER" be a developer. If so then he/she
would
find ways to fix compilation errors

Let me know if you need more information

Regards
Yousuff