ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shackelford, John-Mason" <Sha...@ncs.com>
Subject RE: Task-writing tutorial anywhere?
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:20:36 GMT
* Filter Plug *

I've just completed five new filters (still testing and writing docs) and
from now on I am going to make a habit of asking myself--could this task be
a filter? As filterchains allow one to pipe the output of one transformation
to the input of another, tasks implemented as filters become exponentially
more powerful as they are combined with others. It took me a few minutes to
see what was going on in the example Hatcher & Loughran provide on p. 519,
but once it clicks, they are really very easy to write especially since so
much infrastructure is provided. The filter writer needs only to write one
method (and whatever helpers are specific to your transformation, plus any
needed to process parameters if your filter supports them).

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
NCS Pearson - Measurement Services
2510 North Dodge St.