ant-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Christmann" <p...@priorartisans.com>
Subject Catalina install (was RE: Re[2]: cruisecontrol vs anthill)
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:05:19 GMT
> From: "Jacob Kjome" <hoju@visi.com>
> > Hmmm.... Why not just use the catalina-ant tasks to install the apps
> > remotely without mucking with tomcat's webapps directory?  I use the
> > following target to install my app:
> >
> > <target name="install" depends="compile,manager.init"
> >             description="Install application to servlet container" >
> >         <install
> >             url="${manager.url}"
> >             username="${manager.username}"
> >             password="${manager.password}"
> >             config="${app.ccf}"
> >             path="${app.path}" />
> > </target>

I assume you are describing the following problem, which I wrestled with
for a while and you talk about in Chapter 7:

The manager <install> task does a hot installation, allowing you to
install the service without bringing down the web server.  But if you
then *do* bring down the web server, the installed service will not be
available on a restart, since the <install> task didn't cause anything
to get written to disk.  So, if you want persistence, you need to
extract files explicitly to the webapps folder (either the war itself,
or the contents of the war).

Solution: The Catalina <deploy> task *does* persist the installed
service.  In addition to a "live" installation, it actually modifies
server.xml configuration entries to point to the location of the file(s)
that you deploy.  So, a hard stop/restart of the service will still
reference the files that you deployed.

So, our deployment targets now do:
<stop>
<undeploy>
<deploy>

(where stop/undeploy are conditioned on whether the service is present
and running).

PC