ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TaskContainer and setProperty
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2002 06:38:38 GMT
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Brian Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com> wrote:

> Also, could someone please explain to me what ant is doing when it
> constructs the embedded tasks that prevent them from seeing
> properties?

The "normal" mode of Ant is to configure all nested elements of a task
before executing that task.  "configure" here includes invoking the
setters for the attributes and expanding properties.  So the
attributes for your nested tasks get set before the property has been
defined.

> Last, does anyone have any work-arounds for this problem?

Take a look at how <seqential> avoids this "normal" mode to allow
property expansion to work for nested tasks in Ant 1.5 (it doesn't
work in 1.4.x).  The relevant change has been this
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Sequential.java.diff?r1=1.7&r2=1.7.2.1>

Stefan