ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PropertyFileInputHandler change request
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:51:32 GMT
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Heikki Doeleman <heikki@info.nl> wrote:

> I'm trying to have Ant read its input from a properties file instead
> of the console (using PropertyFileInputHandler), but I haven't
> gotten it to work when the input message contains spaces.

Remember you are dealing with a Java Property file, so spaces in the
keys must be escaped

> My properties file contains the line 'Please type in the name of the
> module for which to generate javadoc:' = testmodule

make that

Please\ type\ in\ the\ name\ of\ the\ module\ for\ which\ to\ generate\ javadoc\:=testmodule

i.e. escape all spaces (and the colon) with a backslash and don't put
any space around the equals sign.

> P.S. is this the right forum for this or should I rather have used
> the Ant developers' list ?

Difficult to answer.  It turns out to be a usage mistake, so it is
really a question for ant-user.  If it had been a bug report (like you
thought it was) or an enhancement request, both ant-dev or bugzilla
may have been more appropriate.

But then again I prefer answering dev-questions on ant-user over
answering user-questions on ant-dev, so when in doubt, you better
chose ant-user IMHO.

Stefan