ant-user mailing list archives

From "William E. Kempf" <williamke...@hotmail.com>
Subject ant-otional.jar on Linux
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:27:50 GMT
I'm a Linux newbie, so this is probably something simple and obvious that
I'm doing wrong.  I installed ant 1.4.1 (I can't switch to 1.5 for
compatibility reasons) via the RPM distribution.  There's little
documentation about this form of distribution installation, unfortunately.
Specifically, there's no indication of how you set ANT_HOME or any other
required environment variables.  When I run ant to build my project with a
script that works on Windows, I get the infamous "Could not create task of
type: junit" with the helpful advice to add optional.jar to the ANT_HOME
directory.

So, I tried digging around the various scripts to see how ANT_HOME works.  I
see that the ant script does some magic when rpm_mode is set (which it
should be), and actually adds the Jars from /usr/share/java to the
classpath.  So, I added a line to the script to echo what the classpath is
that's used, and it indicates this:

/usr/share/java/xml_apis.jar:/usr/share/java/jaxp_parser.jar:/usr/share/java
/ant-optional.jar:/usr/share/java/ant.jar:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_02/lib/tools.
jar

/usr/share/java/ant-optional.jar is a symlink to
/usr/share/java/ant-optional-1.4.1.jar, so this should be the right Jar to
add to the classpath, AFAICT.  In fact, the entire command issued should
look like this:

/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_02/bin/java -classpath
/usr/share/java/xml_apis.jar:/usr/share/java/jaxp_parser.jar:/usr/share/java
/ant-optional.jar:/usr/share/java/ant.jar:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_02/lib/tools.
jar -Dant.home=/usr  org.apache.tools.ant.Main  test

I can't see a thing wrong with that, so what gives?

Bill Kempf