ant-user mailing list archives

From "William E. Kempf" <williamke...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: ant-otional.jar on Linux
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:30:50 GMT
From: "Henri Gomez" <hgomez@apache.org>
> William E. Kempf wrote:
> > From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> >>which are?  1.5 should be backwards compatible.
> >

> > Issues with other tools... specifically WSAD.
>
> Didn't have problem using Eclipse 2.0.1 with ant 1.5,
> just updated the plugin ;)

WSAD is based on Eclipse 1, and trust me, ant 1.5 doesn't work there.  I've
tried all the usual hacks to upgrade Ant there, and the effort isn't worth
it.  I'll switch to Ant 1.5 when the next WSAD is available, since it will
be based on Eclipse 2.

> >>The main reason for this is that the RPMs are contributed distribution
> >>forms that don't have direct support by the Ant developers.  I'm not
> >>aware of any Ant committer who'd use the RPMs.
> >
> > Then why supply them on the Ant web site?
>
> Because there is people who use it and at least one apache commiter who
> spend some time packaging rpms.
>
> But I feel that we'll use www.jpackage.org works (allready there).
>
>  > Don't get me wrong... I
> > understand that there's reasons why developers would prefer not to use
> > binary package installations... and in general I'd agree.  But on a
> > production server the admins feel better using an RPM which allows a
uniform
> > method of installing, uninstalling and tracking versions.
>
> And that's exactly why I package rpm for many java apache projects.

If the RPMs are directly made available from the Ant web site, you'd better
be prepared to support it

Bill Kempf