ant-user mailing list archives

From "William E. Kempf" <>
Subject Re: ant-otional.jar on Linux
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:23:07 GMT
Sorry, read my post closer.  I *know* how to set environment variables.
What I don't know is where ANT_HOME is when using the RPM install, since the
files, as per normal convention on Unix, are spread across several (common)
directories that don't correspond to the simple concept of ANT_HOME.  For
instance, it appears that the scripts installed by the RPM set ANT_HOME for
you, and set it to /usr, but the Jar files aren't located in /usr/lib, as
they would be on Windows (or, AFAICT, as they would be if I'd built Ant
instead of installing the binary RPM package, though in that case it would
be more like /usr/ant/lib), but rather they are found in /usr/share/java.

In any event, the scripts magically, AFAICT, set the environment to work
with this alternate directory structure.  In fact, I posted the command line
used to invoke ant, and it clearly sets the classpath to include
ant-optional.jar.  Yet I still receive the "infamous" error message
indicating the junit task couldn't be located.

So, this isn't a Unix issue, per se, and I still need advice.

Bill Kempf

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Francis" <>
To: "Ant Users List" <>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 3:39 PM
Subject: RE: ant-otional.jar on Linux

The questions that you are asking really are more of UNIX issues than
anything else.  Setting of the environment variables can change from shell
to shell, but using bash (which hopefully is your default), you can set env
vars in this manner

export ANT_HOME=/home/ant/jakarta_1_4-1

or something similar.

I would HIGHLY recommend picking up a book on Linux or UNIX before really
trying to tackle running builds on them.  You will be banging you head on
the wall trying to figure out whether your issues are OS or tool related if
you don't have a decent grounding